Friday, January 25, 2013

A New Generation of Correspondents

Again, it is that time of the year where almost 2,500 campus journalists converge in one location to battle for the glory of representing Region X in the national level. It is time for the Regional Schools Press Conference (RSPC) and this time, it was held in La Salle University, Ozamiz City on January 24-26, 2013.

Luckily for me, I was able to attend one before graduating in high school. After a devastating last place finish last year during the Division Schools Press Conference (DSPC) held at Baroy, Lanao del Norte, (well, there were only 11 contestants and the top 10 were called but I never heard my name, someone's gotta have to pay for that!) I really felt hopeless of winning but well at least the story did not end with someone being hanged!

Being into journalism at a very young age is very stressful yet at the same time rewarding! I get to be more aware of my community and at the same time engage with people of different culture. Also, I get to practice my writing skills! Being a journalist is indeed fulfilling.


Attending the RSPC 2013 was a great milestone for me. Even though being in a competition or winning a medal does not really dignify how good a journalist is, at least our skills tend to be sharpened at a very young age which is for me quite an advantage already. See the date in the picture? The RSPC was supposed to be held last December 5-7, 2013 but was postponed due to Typhoon Pablo. Here are more pictures taken during the activity.



The picture above is the whole delegation of Pisay-CMC (my other teacher was taking the photo). So, to cap off my first RSPC experience, here is how I'm going to describe it, the OA trycicle driver, Gaisano, Calabayan (the place we stayed in which, gilabay jud mi sa grabe ka layo nga lugar), Ozamiz City, La Salle University (contest venue), News Writing and lastly a representative from Lala National High School with initials MGC. >.< 


Although, I am quite nervous if I could make it to the nationals (sorry, I left before the awarding ceremony, I have to take up a scholarship exam back in CdO), being in the RSPC is already enough for me. In fact, I only made it there because during the DSPC, our school's contestant for News Writing - English backed off and viola, I was chosen to replace her and suddenly it was magic.

So to those who will compete in National Schools Press Conference in Ormoc City this coming April, I send you my regards and best wishes! I know you all deserve to be there. 

Keep writing and keep going,

No comments:

Post a Comment